Aberdeen University Students’ Association referendum: Remain in NUS, Vote YES
Aberdeen University Students’ Association (AUSA) is holding a referendum on membership of National Union of Students Scotland.
The question students will be asked to vote on is “Should AUSA continue to be affiliated to the National Union of Students?”
We are asking University of Aberdeen students to vote ‘Yes’ to remain part of NUS Scotland. Only by staying together can we work to improve the lives of students at the University of Aberdeen.
What is NUS Scotland?
NUS Scotland represents over 500,000 students in Scotland. We are the voice of students on the issues that matter to them. Our strength comes from our membership, and if we wish to continue making Scotland a better place to live and learn then we need the guidance and activism of students from every corner of the country.
Why should I vote ‘Yes’?
We’re proud of our campaigning work with, and on behalf of, University of Aberdeen students.
• NUS Scotland won an extra £21 million for student cost-of-living support, delivering better bursary support, and a bursary of £8,100 for care-experienced students.
• From this academic year, the University of Aberdeen has benefited from new funding - as part of a £20 million Scottish Government investment – to improve counselling provision, thanks to NUS Scotland campaigning.
• NUS Scotland supported your students’ association to scrap graduation fees at Aberdeen, saving students £45 each.
• Thanks to NUS Scotland, from 2021 students will pay back their student loan once earning £25,000 and above – up from £18,935 now.
• NUS Scotland supported the Royal College of Nursing to lobby the government to increase the Scottish nursing and midwifery bursary to £10,000 from 2020/21.
• Campaigning to protect opportunities for students in Scotland and across the EU post Brexit, including access to Erasmus+ and protecting vital funding. We have launched “Education not Isolation” and NUS representatives have already met Chief negotiator for the European Commission, Michel Barnier to make our case.
• NUS Scotland successfully campaigned for tuition fees to be scrapped.
We ensure University of Aberdeen students are represented at Holyrood and Westminster. Thanks to NUS Scotland, your President has the chance to put your concerns direct to the Scottish Government at the annual Presidents’ Roundtable.
We provide networking events, training courses and opportunities for students to learn, share and connect across Scotland.
We campaign on Liberation issues, alongside students who face opporession: campaigning for a fair system of gender recognition for trans people, tackling the Black Attainment gap, successfully lobbying for free sanitary products and investment to combat gender-based violence, and more.
And with a ‘Yes’ vote, we know we can build on these benefits - and all for just £1.62 per student from next year!
How can you help?
Being a voter really matters – and every single vote really, really counts. So, how can you help?
• BE A VOTER! Voting will take place online between 17 and 19 March. If you’re a University of Aberdeen student, be a voter by visiting www.ausa.org.uk/representation/nus/nusreferendum/
• Speak to as many of your friends and class-mates at the University of Aberdeen and let them know why they should vote ‘Yes’, to remain in NUS Scotland. Or send them a message telling them why it’s so important that they too are a voter.
• Tell folk on your social media why you’re voting to remain in NUS Scotland. If you’re on Twitter, use the hashtag #AUSAYestoNUS
• Download the Remain in NUS poster and flyer and share them.
Our strength comes from our membership, and if we wish to continue making Scotland a better place to live and learn then we need the guidance and activism of students from every corner of the country. Make sure Aberdeen students are part of our future success.
#AUSAYestoNUS: remain in NUS, vote YES!
If you’ve any questions, please get in touch.