NUS MEMBERSHIP UPDATE ON CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) 30 March 2020
Our number one priority is the health, safety and wellbeing of the students and apprentices we represent, so we have been working closely with institutions, trade unions, national sector bodies like Universities UK and the Association of Colleges, the Student Loans Company, and the government to inform our response to Coronavirus (Covid-19).
Here’s an update of what we are doing on your behalf to ensure your interests are represented as we tackle this pandemic:
- We met the Office for Students on our new weekly teleconference on coronavirus work, discussing with them liaison with the Competition and Markets Authority and UKRI, and sharing information on students' concerns around a range of issues including exams and assessments, postgraduate study, number controls, international students. The OfS is expecting to issue more guidance to providers on these and other issues over the coming days and weeks and will involve NUS as this guidance is developed
- We've had productive conversations with UUK, British Property Federation, DfE and MHCLG regarding our letters demanding action for student renters published last week. Press attention on these issues is also increasing
- We are sending out a briefing to MPs on the issues student renters are facing and members will receive a model letter to send to your local MP soon on this issue
- Tomorrow, we'll be calling on institutions to cancel all exams for 1st and 2nd year students and to provide options for those facing finals. We’ve given this as an exclusive to the BBC and released to other media under embargo for 10.00am.
- NUS Wales President Rob Simkins hosted the second of our weekly drop-in briefing sessions for sabbatical officers in Wales. We updated members on the actions we're taking and took questions to pursue with the sector
- We've been in contact with Rent Smart Wales regarding the rights of students in HMOs.
- We've published an FAQs document on the government's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- We need your help promoting our recently launched Coronavirus Student Survey The survey will run until Friday 3 April and we need as many students as possible taking part. You’ll find your survey promotion pack here, with links, suggested email, SMS and social copy and images you can use too. You'll also get your own students’ raw anonymised data if you get 350+ responses (100+ for colleges and small and specialist unions), so please share across your channels asap
- We're currently reviewing the format of Lead and Change to ensure we continue to offer a fantastic experience for newly elected and re-elected officers, whilst ensuring safety. We will need tutor support no matter what format it takes and have extended our application deadline until midnight on Sunday 5 April.
- National Conference is taking place online tomorrow,Tuesday 31 March and Wednesday 1 April from 9am. Take a look at the Participation Guide – your definitive guide to taking part!
- Voting is now open for the positions of NUS National President, Vice President Further Education and Vice President Higher Education. Voting closes tomorrow, Tuesday 31 March at 5pm so don't delay!