NUS MEMBERSHIP UPDATE ON CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) 23 April 2020
Our number one priority is the health, safety and wellbeing of the students and apprentices we represent, so we have been working closely with institutions, trade unions, national sector bodies like Universities UK and the Association of Colleges, the Student Loans Company, and the government to inform our response to Coronavirus (Covid-19).
Here’s an update of what we are doing on your behalf to ensure your interests are represented as we tackle this pandemic:
- We've met with the Student Loans Company to receive updates on their operations. While they have restored most services they are seeing fewer applications from both new and returning students than they would expect at this time and would like NUS and SUs support in encouraging applications to ensure no delays to student payments next year
- Zamzam and Eva met with Thangam Debbonaire MP, Shadow Housing Secretary, to discuss how to protect student renters during Covid-19
- The Labour Party backed our proposals for a student hardship fund to be established as part of a Student Safety Net
- We sent further information on our proposals for a Student Safety Net and the survey we conducted to MPs from all major parties
- We wrote a letter to the National Housing Federation regarding Housing Associations not releasing students from tenancy contracts
- We're gathering evidence to show that institutions' hardship funds are unlikely to be enough to sustain students financially during the pandemic, which is why we need a Student Safety Net. Help us by completing this quick form looking at hardship funds within colleges and universities.
- Our Think Positive student mental health project has announced it will be holding a virtual forum meeting every Wednesday at 10am. This is a network for student associations and institutions in Scotland to come together and share best practice on challenges, possible solutions and methods for working during Covid-19. Think Positive has also set up a new Slack channel: #network-thinkpositive-covid-19.
- Next month is our online Liberation Conference 2020 so get your registration in now. Nominations are also open for the new role of Vice President Liberation and Equality as well as members of the Liberation Campaign Committee and Liberation Steering Committee. Visit the Liberation Conference hub for more details
- Attended National Conference 2020? Help us understand your views and experience of the event by completing our survey.