NUS MEMBERSHIP UPDATE ON CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) 19 March 2020
Our number one priority is the health, safety and wellbeing of the students and apprentices we represent, so we have been working closely with institutions, trade unions, national sector bodies like Universities UK and the Association of Colleges, the Student Loans Company, and the government to inform our response to Coronavirus (Covid-19).
Here’s an update of what we are doing on your behalf to ensure your interests are represented as we tackle this pandemic:
- The Emergency Coronavirus Bill has now been published. NUS is looking at the detail but you’ll find our initial response on the coronavirus hub
- We're coordinating a meeting of education trade unions to ensure a coordinated response throughout the sector to support students and institutions at this time, especially in light of recent school closures and healthcare students working for the NHS.
- We're meeting with the Department of Education tomorrow to discuss ensuring students do not suffer financially as a result of closures.
We're in conversation with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government regarding renters’ protections for students in the private rented sector and student accommodation
We're meeting with the Scottish Government today and tomorrow to discuss members' concerns.
NUS-USI is meeting with members today to discuss their concerns and support needed
- Thanks to all who’ve submitted questions and suggestions for the student research. We’ll be in touch with promotion information next week.
- Thanks also to all who attended the webinar earlier today. You can now view the slides and the recording of the webinar on our hub. One suggestions from the webinar was for SUs to showcase the innovative ways they are using as part of their new ways of working using #LoveSUs.
- We'll be in touch with any members shortly who have booked on for the Learning Academy to discuss how we will be reformating these sessions
- OneVoice has issued a statement on Covid-19 which includes a company wide update, and some important information on refunds for UnionCloud events.
Our asks for members are that you: check Workplace regularly; read the daily updates we’re sending; use NUS Connect as your reference point; share your and your institution’s approaches via Google docs; update us on your trading; and send the research survey out to your students when it's ready and use the VAT retrospective payments template letter, which will be published shortly.
- NUS National Conference officer election hustings took place yesterday. The videos are in post-production and we expect to be able to release these tomorrow along with podcasts and transcripts. Candidates have all been sent details of the online version of the conference which will take place Tuesday 31 March (Elections) and Wednesday 1 April (Conference Business). Voting on Policy, National Scrutiny Council and Democratic Procedures Committee seats will close 6 April. More details to follow tomorrow.
- NUS Scotland Conference was held online today. Look out for an update on the results of the elections and discussions tomorrow