Lead and Change: Further Education Introduction
FE Lead & Change is an introductory course for student officers in further education. It aims to build skills, knowledge and confidence in new student leaders within a safe learning environment designed specifically for FE students’ unions. The course will take delegates on a journey to reflect on their own responsibilities and motivation to be a student leader, encourage collaboration and partnership across the student movement and support officers to influence national educational policy as well as improving the quality of their own students’ experience.
As a result of the training you will be able to:
- Analyse how inequalty may impact different groups of students to engage in education
- Design a range of strategies to involve the diversity of your student body in the work of the students' union.
- Apply campaign planning tools to develop a campaign strategy.
- Use opportunities to build your network within the FE community.
Who should attend:
Full and part time student officers from affiliated students’ unions in further education.
FE Lead and Change, University of East London Student's Union - 22 November 2017
Registration for this event is now closed.
Impact of training for individuals and organisations:
- A more inclusive students' union
- Wider engagement within the students' union
- Increased confidence of leading as a student officer.
- Increased campaign success
- Improved engagement in FE networks across the country
As a part of the training you will learn how to:
- Recognise the current challenges facing the FE sector
- Describe the purpose of a students' union and the your role within it
- Explain what systematic oppression is and how it creates inequality in FE
- List a range of methods to widen participation in students’ unions and learner voice activity
- Recall opportunities to get involved with NUS (including democratic processes)
- Assess the root causes of a campaign issue.
- Identify stakeholders to build relationships with.
This course is all about students’ unions being diverse, inclusive and equitable organisations, supporting them to attract and retain outstanding people.
If you have any queries or problems please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead and Change: Specialist Colleges
FE Lead & Change for learners with learning difficulties and disabilities aims to build skills, knowledge and confidence in new student officers. The course will support delegates to reflect on their understanding of leadership and traits of strong leaders, to consider the importance of their role within the provider and society, as well as understanding how to plan and deliver campaigns to improve the quality of their education experience. The development of this course has been supported by the Students’ Council at Derwen College who have advised and supported NUS to ensure the content and delivery of this course is accessible.
Who is it for?
Student officers from affiliated students’ unions in specialist colleges, and student officers with learning difficulties and disabilities from affiliated students’ unions in further education. Student representatives from non-affiliated students’ unions are also able to attend for a small fee.