In order to encourage participation in NUS Trans Conference 2018, the Trans Committee is making bursaries available to unions from its campaign budget for groups currently under-represented within the Campaign; trans women and trans people of colour. These bursaries are to cover travel costs to and from Conference.
This year, in order to encourage as many unions as possible to take this up and to attend conference, we have made available a large number of smaller bursaries.
Who can receive a bursary
Bursaries are available to all FE and HE unions that are currently affiliated to NUS or are in the process of applying to affiliate to NUS who are travelling from at least a 20 mile radius from the conference venue (University of Manchester Students’ Union - City Centre, M13 9PR)
Bursaries are available to cover travel costs for the following attendee types:
- Delegates attending Conference defining as trans women or tans people of colour
- Free Observer places (if your Union is entitled to send this)
- A maximum of one staff member where their attendance is required to support delegates in line with college safeguarding procedures
- Enablers of delegates
How much is available
We have made available bursaries of up to £100 per attendee.
If your ticket is less than £100 in value we will pay the full amount for the ticket. If it is higher the maximum we will pay in bursary is £100 per attendee. To extend this bursary to as many eligible delegates as possible by keeping costs down we will be looking to book advance tickets and off peak where possible.
Each institution can apply for a bursary for each of their attendees (as outlined above). The total value of the bursary we award cannot be higher than a union’s affiliation fee.
If the travel bursary scheme is oversubscribed then unions will be assessed on their need taking into consideration factors such as commission from Totum, size of block grant etc.
How to apply
You can apply for the bursary online at the bottom of this page.
In order to apply you will need to tell us:
- Your institution name, contact and email
- Names of each of the attendees you are applying for bursaries for
- Costs of travel for each attendee and evidence to support this (e.g. screenshot of booking website)
The deadline to apply for the bursary will be on 15 January 2019 at noon or when the bursary fund is fully spent – whichever comes first. We would therefore encourage you to apply early.
You will also need to have registered for Conference by the registration deadline (16 January 2019 at noon). This can be done online here
What happens next
The staff team will assess your application and contact you to let you know if it has been successful. If successful you will be informed how much bursary has been awarded.
The NUS travel team will then contact you to confirm travel plans and will book your tickets using our online booking system, we will then send you the booking reference to collect your tickets. If your application has been assessed before the close of registration we may contact you before this date.
If your requested ticket costs more than £100 we may ask your union to purchase the ticket and we will reimburse you £100.
Terms and Conditions
- Only available to delegates who define as trans women and trans people of colour.
- Only available to affiliated members of NUS or institutions that have applied to affiliate to NUS before the closing date
- Only available to cover transport costs to/from the conference venue and in line with conference timings
- Only available to attendees travelling from 20 mile radius or more from the venue
- Only available to cover ticketed travel (not available for taxis)
- Available to cover delegates, free observers, enablers and/or up to one staff member required for safeguarding reasons
- Deadline for application is 15 January 2019 at noon.
- We reserve the right to close applications at an earlier date if all funds are distributed before this
For more information about Trans Conference visit the conference page.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call customer services on 0300 303 8602