Thursday 26-03-2020 - 13:04
As part of our #NotStayingNotPaying campaign, NUS Scotland has today released five key asks of the Scottish Government to ensure student renters are protected during the coronavirus outbreak. Please share, along with our open letter to accommodation providers from student leaders across Scotland. Remember to tag any accommodation providers you know are still refusing to do the right thing, and use the hashtah #NotStayingNotPaying
- Ensure all tenants and landlords have access to clear and holistic public health advice.
- Every student landlord must offer a no-penalty release from tenancy contracts for the current and next academic year.
- Government must ban all evictions, for all renters, for the duration of the crisis.
- Government must ensure that renters whose income is impacted by coronavirus have their rent and utility bills waived or significantly reduced for 6 months as this crisis continues - with the option to renew if needed. This should, and must, include all students regardless of whether they live in student halls, the private rented sector or PBSA.
- Government must enact a universal freeze on all rent increases for the next 12 months.