Tuesday 17-11-2015 - 11:59
How Canterbury College SU lobbied for a cheaper yearly travel pass.
- Obtained strong data from students about the cost and distance of travel to and from college. Data used to produce a report with key issues such as ‘more than 50% of students travel more than 5 miles a day’ and ‘it costs many students over £20 per week to get to college’.
- Worked with college senior staff and elected officials (MP’s, councillors etc) to understand how important the issue is.
- Arranged meetings with the local bus company and attended “meet the managers” events with train providers in London which all rail companies hold.
- Supported and promoted local e-petitions on transport from both students and organisations through social media.
- Yearly travel pass subsequently reduced from £520 to £400.
- Got the college to commit to funding free travel for the first few weeks of College and secured discounted Park and Ride for our students who drive.
How is your students’ union supporting the #CutTheCosts campaign to save maintenance grants? We’d love to promote your work to the membership on NUS Connect - simply get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us what you’re doing on campus!