NUS willl be facilitating a student roundtable with the Governmnent's 'social mobility and child poverty' tsar Alan Milburn between 14.00 and 15.30 on Thursday 21 July 2011 in Admiralty Arch, London, SW1A 2WH.
Alan Milburn, the former Labour MP and former Health Secretary, is currently conducting a review of social mobility and child poverty for the Government which will be published in spring next year. The focus of his report will be higher education, and this roundtable at the Cabinet Office is an excellent opportunity to have your voice heard. Alan Milburn will want to discuss the following issues:
- What helped you want to go to university and what your plans are after university
- What the barriers to going to university are
- What would help more young people have a fair chance of going to university
- What careers advice you have received and whether it helped
- What is helping keep you at uni and what helps to prevent drop outs
We are keen to ensure a mixed demographic of undergraduate studentswho have had different journeys to university.If you are interested in joining us at this event, please email Alex Jones on firstname.lastname@example.org withyour name, institution, subject studied and year of study by Monday 27 June 2011. Travel expenses to London will be covered by Mr Milburn's office.