The Advisory Groups are there to support the decision making of the NUS Charitable Services Board in matters of Student opportunities, development, quality and environmental sustainability.
Committed to building strong students’ unions
We support unions in a variety of ways and some of this work is driven and overseen by the Advisory Groups, these are:
The Advisory Groups also provide a scrutiny function. The Groups will be chaired by an NUS Officer or one of the Student Officers. They will ordinarily meet four times per calendar year. Individual members of the groups will be informal ambassadors for these streams of work.
They help us to ensure that we effectively represent our members and students’ unions, ensuring they have the tools and resources to represent their members.
SU Officer Volunteer Opportunities
Nominations for SU Officer positions on the advisory groups have now closed. They will reopen again in 2018.
SU Staff volunteer opportunities
We have exciting opportunities available for SU staff to join the NUS SU Charitable Services Advisory Groups and the NUS Services Board and Direction and Oversight Boards.
About these roles
Join the rest of the Board or Committee in quarterly meetings using your creativity and experience to discuss proposals and ideas. Provide scrutiny on the work of NUS and oversight of the organisation and of its plans.
We currently have the following positions available:
3 x SU staff positions on the Student Opportunities Advisory Group
2 x SU staff positions on the Talent Development Advisory Group
3 x SU staff positions on the SU Quality Advisory Group
Reading papers and preparing your response for the meetings.
Attending meetings for approximately 3 hours at a time weekdays.
Supporting the Chair with issues and sharing your expertise.
Possibly acting as Deputy Chair.
Providing your support and expertise for other projects and committees/DOBs/Groups
Equality and Diversity
Equality and the celebration of diversity is a core value of NUS and we hope to appoint a Board that reflects this. We will be looking for this diversity in terms of skills and experience as well diversity of social, cultural and geographical backgrounds. As such we particularly welcome applications from those traditionally under-represented on trustee boards, such as women, black and minority ethnic men and women, lesbians, gay, bisexual, trans people and those who are disabled.
Please complete the Equality and Diversity form with your CV.
What we offer
- The chance to work with a variety of different people from different walks of life and make a real difference to students lives.
- Comprehensive free induction and ongoing training.
- A great opportunity to develop your existing skills and to gain new ones.
- Meet like-minded people and work in a team.
- Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses.
Who can apply
- For the staff positions you must be a staff member in an affiliated students' union.
- The role profile outlines any specific requirements but in summary:
- Advisory Group members are staff whose work is relevant to that group.
- NUS Services Direction and Oversight Board members are senior staff that work within that commercial activity and the union is part of the CEU for that area of activity.
If you would like any more information about our Charity Advisory Groups then please contact our Governance Team: firstname.lastname@example.org