Thursday 13-11-2014 - 10:40
Over the coming weeks, NUS will be hosting a series of social media ‘Takeovers’ each Thursday aiming to bring student issues to the forefront of conversation ahead of the next General Election.
Each Takeover Thursday will explore a specific theme or campaign which deserves the full attention of political parties vying for the student vote in May 2015.
Today (Thursday 13 November), the focus will be on NUS’ policy ask for political parties to commit to creating a new and better Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) so that disadvantaged students can thrive and reach their potential.
Speaking on the importance of the issue, NUS Vice President (Further Education) Joe Vinson said, ‘It’s been cut after cut after cut for the further education sector over the last few years. We’ve seen EMA and ALG cut and replaced with a pitiful pot students have to come to college to beg from.’
There are a number of ways your students’ union can join in with today’s discussion across Twitter and Facebook. Here are a few ideas and materials to get you started…
- Do you think we need a new, better EMA? Tell us why by tagging @nusuk and using #GenerationVote and we’ll retweet messages throughout the day.
- Watch and share our videos with four current FE students, Frankie, Ricardo, Dami and Yasmin about the need for improved funding for students.
- Participating in our Facebook poll which asks ‘We think students need a new, better EMA. Do you agree?’.
- Read and share Joe Vinson’s blog on why we need a new, better EMA.
- Watch and share Toni Pearce’s Stand Up Be Counted video on why we need a new, better EMA.
- Read and share our Buzzfeed article on ’15 ways life was better for students with EMA’.
Follow our Takeover Thursday live stream online from 10am-4pm at www.nus.org.uk/newbetterema and if tweeting, remember to use #GenerationVote.