Tuesday 10-05-2016 - 17:20
We have exciting opportunities available for SU staff to join the NUS Services Board and Direction and Oversight Boards, and the NUS SU Charitable Services Board and Advisory Groups.
Our Boards and Commitees are made up of a variety of people from across the membership including students, officers, non-executives and SU staff. There are now some opportunities available on the Boards and Committees for SU staff. This is a great opportunity to represent your union, our members, share your expertise, experience, build on your skills and give back to the membership.
The Boards provide scrutiny, direction and oversight to the organisation. You can read more about our governing boards here.
The Direction and Oversight Boards and Advisory Groups have delegated authorities within specific areas of work including NUS extra, Purchasing, UnionCloud, Sustainability, Students' Union Quality, Development and Student Opportunites. Within these areas of work they scrutinise, support the development of plans, and support decision making. Their work is then fed back into the Boards to support their decision making.
NUS Services Direction and Oversight Boards
NUS extra - 2 SU staff positions
UnionCloud - 1 SU staff positions
NUS Charity Advisory Groups
Student Opportunities - 2 SU staff positions
About these roles
Join the rest of the Board or Committee in quarterly meetings using your creativity and experience to discuss proposals and ideas. Provide scrutiny on the work of NUS and oversight of the organisation and of its plans.
- Reading papers and preparing your response for the meetings.
- Attending meetings for approximately 3 hours at a time weekdays.
- Supporting the Chair with issues and sharing your expertise.
- Possibly acting as Deputy Chair.
- Providing your support and expertise for other projects and committees/DOBs/Groups.
Equality and Diversity
Equality and the celebration of diversity is a core value of NUS and we hope to appoint a Board that reflects this. We will be looking for this diversity in terms of skills and experience as well diversity of social, cultural and geographical backgrounds. As such we particularly welcome applications from those traditionally under-represented on trustee boards, such as women, black and minority ethnic men and women, lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, trans people and those who are disabled.
Please complete the Equality and Diversity form with your CV.
What we offer
The chance to work with a variety of different people from different walks of life and make a real difference to students lives.
- Comprehensive free induction and ongoing training.
- A great opportunity to develop your existing skills and to gain new ones.
- Meet like-minded people and work in a team.
- Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses.
Who can apply
- For the staff positions you must be a staff member in an affiliated students' union.
- For the student positions you must be a student at an affiliated union.
The role profile outlines any specific requirements but in summary:
- NUS Services Direction and Oversight Board members are senior staff that work within that commercial activity and the union is part of the CEU for that area of activity.
- Advisory Group members are staff whose work is relevant to that group.
How to apply
Send us a cover letter and CV to email@example.com by the 07 July 2016. We will then shortlist and contact you for an interview .
What do past SU staff volunteers say about their experience?
"I have served as a trustee of NUS Charity for 3 years now and have enjoyed it immensely, learnt a great deal and think (& hope) that I have had a positive impact. I have found the staff, managers and officers of NUS to be supportive, professional and open to feedback and one of the best parts of serving on the Board has been getting to know and working with the other Board members. Participating in the governance of a large, high profile, national charity is a huge privilege and I would strongly encourage senior staff in students' unions to consider applying."
"A Great opportunity to have input into NUS, and so understand what challenges and opportunities the organisation faces. You will get out as much as you put in."
"Being on a Board has increased the network of people that I know within the movement."
"If you enjoy strategy then this is an area of work that would interest you."