Wednesday 15-03-2017 - 16:03
The period of nominations for the position of NUS Vice President (Society & Citizenship) has closed and we can now announce the candidates standing for election.
The candidates for the position of Vice President (Society & Citizenship) are as follows:
A fresh and dynamic movement
Hiya! I'm Danny, president of Goldsmiths College SU, running to be your next VP Society & Citizenship. As an international student, my students’ union and local community have been my gateways to campaign for a fairer society, from co-organising the first Preventing PREVENT conference to securing £140,000 per year in refugee scholarships.
In the wake of attacks on education and migrants, the Society & Citizenship campaign shouldn’t just be another wheel of NUS, it should be its engine. I’m standing to rebuild it as the force behind a social movement that wins.
See you in Brighton!
- Melissa Owusu, Leeds University Union
- Myriam Kane, Westminster Kingsway College SU
- Ilyas Nagdee, The University of Manchester
- Sean O’Neill, Oxford Students’ Union
- Barbara Ntumy, London Metropolitan Students’ Union
- Fezaan Bashir, Joseph Chamberlain College
- Sorana Vieru, NUS
- Luke Pilot, Warwick Students’ Union
- Yasmin Gasimova, University of Liverpool
- Savannah Savenzo, Sussex Students’ Union
Last year at Conference I was delighted to be elected as your Vice-President Society and Citizenship. A lot has changed since then, but what hasn't changed is my determination to help build a transformative student movement.
I'm seeking your re-election because I'm proud of what I've been able to achieve this year, but I have so much more I want to do in a vastly changed world. We need a national Union that fights the worst of Brexit, a Union that is political and a Union that is sustainable.
Re-elect me and let's finish what started.
- Tara Alade, Bedfordshire SU
- Ceewhy Ochoga, University of Salford
- Binyomen Gilbert, Goldsmiths SU
- Kevin Campbell, Glasgow Caledonian
- Abdi Duale, GSM London
- Whitney Brown, Coleg y Cymoedd SU
- Ellie Kellier
- Lucy Mason, Havering College
- Bruna Silva, Teeside SU
- Jess Rich, Essex University
Re-open nominations (RON)
The position of Vice President (Society & Citizenship) will be elected by delegates during the second day of NUS National Conference, which takes place at The Brighton Centre from Tuesday 25 to Thursday 27 April 2017.
Want to find out which other positions are being contested during National Conference? A full list of candidates and manifestos is available at conference.nusconnect.org.uk/elections/candidates.