Wednesday 15-03-2017 - 16:02
The period of nominations for the position of NUS Vice President (Higher Education) has closed and we can now announce the candidates standing for election.
The candidates for the position of Vice President (Higher Education) are as follows:
Winning on what matters to students
As a black student and then sabbatical officer at Cambridge, I know when education is used to empower, but how many can be systematically shut out from receiving its full benefits.
Now more than ever, we need an NUS working on and winning on the issues that matter to students- like assessment and feedback, access, teaching quality and contact time. With the march towards marketisation of the HE sector, spiralling debts for students and an unrestrained Breixt strategy, I aim to lead an HE Zone which will fight for the matters most pressing for students at this crucial time.
- Max Sherrard, Leeds University Students Union
- Alice Dee, Durham Students’ Union
- Tara Alade, University of Bedfordshire Students’ Union
- Bruna Silva, Teeside University
- Darren Clarke, Staffordshire University
- Dave Titley, University of West London
- Ayo Akinrele, Liverpool Hope
- Izzy Tooke, York St Johns
- Gwyneth Sweatman, Trinity St Davids
- Zander Lavall, St Mary’s University
Why you in denial? Vote Niall
Hi, I’m Niall, Education Officer at Reading University Students Union for the past 2 years and I’m standing to be your next Vice-President Higher Education.
I’ve made anti-TEF placards appear in the SU nightclub, embedded liberation in all curricular design, trained over 500 course reps, and built a 250-students demonstration in a day saving university staff from job cuts.
Now, I want to harness the creative, collective talent of our students on a national level to forge a fierce HE campaign that brings students with it, to secure a free and liberated education system.
See you in Brighton! #NIALLIT
- Ali Day, Sheffield SU
- Biba Chunta, Canterbury Christchurch
- Jake Saunders, Central School of Speech and Drama
- Grace Anderson, Anglia Ruskin
- Robiu Salisu, Swansea
- Colum Mackey, Ulster SU
- Laura Ho, University of Bristol
- James Belmonte, Portsmouth SU
- Sian Hampton, UWE
- Hareem Ghani, NEC
Ana for Vice-President Higher Education
Hi! I’m Ana and I’m Arts SU’s Campaigns Officer. I’m a socialist feminist, a Polish immigrant and I want your help taking the job of VP Higher Education. I’ve fought for students at my union in the boardroom and the streets, now let’s do it nationally.
From rising fees to creeping marketisation to attacks on international students, I believe we need an unapologetic response. I will stand up for your rights, build grassroots activism and campaign for our radical vision of a free, democratic, accessible and liberated education.
- Jenny Killin, Aberdeen Students’ Association
- Rachel O’Brien, University of Birmingham
- Yasmin Gasimova, University of Liverpool
- Monty Shield, Queen Mary Students’ Union
- Hope Worsdale, Warwick Students’ Union
- Rowan Davis, University of Oxford
- Shula Kombe, University of Manchester
- Clementine Boucher, University of Bath Students’ Union
- Deborah Hermanns, London School of Economics Students’ Union
- Mark Crawford, University College London
Re-open nominations (RON)
The position of Vice President (Higher Education) will be elected by delegates during the second day of NUS National Conference, which takes place at The Brighton Centre from Tuesday 25 to Thursday 27 April 2017.
Want to find out which other positions are being contested during National Conference? A full list of candidates and manifestos is available at conference.nusconnect.org.uk/elections/candidates.